Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Review: Dr. Young Anti Pore: Pore Eraser Balm | Benefit Porefessional Dupe?

When trying to perfect the best makeup look, skincare and preparation is of utmost importance. However, pores and oily skin are very hard to manage as it takes a long time to see a noticeable difference. That's why primers were developed. To fake the "pore-fect" base to optimise your makeup experience.

Today, I will be sharing with you the Dr Young Anti Pore: Pore Eraser Balm, which reminds me a lot of the Benefit Porefessional Primer.




Dr. Young Anti Pore: Pore Eraser Balm 15g ($38)
Full size product: 15g($38)

Product Description
Enriched with witch hazel extracts, Swiss alpine herb extracts, marine collagen, and vitamin 5, the pore eraser balm is a primer perfect for featuring the soft, silky porcelain skin. This pore primer will even all the lines and enlarged pores and control excess sebum for a long-lasting look.

How to use 
After skincare, apply adequate amount on areas with visible pores or oily spots.

Life:
It expires 3 years after the manufacturer date.
So in all retrospect, these two primers are silicon based. They both work the same way. They "fill" the pores to create an even canvas, and in turn, it can also mattify and minimise redness. I have demonstrated this using an orange for your viewing pleasure.

 As you can see, the crevices are filled. This creates a smooth base and gives the "pore-less" appearance. It also has a blurring effect on the skin.

Now without further ado, let's get on to the review!

Packaging:
I dropped this once when I was trying to move the jar. It is quite heavy due to the glass jar, but I like the feeling of security and sturdy packaging.  Though it is not practical.

It has a screw off cap and a plastic separator to keep the product soft and fluffy. 

Texture:
It is extremely light and silky, just like the Benefit Porefessional primer. However, I do think the Dr. Young Pore Eraser is lighter in feeling. Blends like a dream and sinks quickly into the pores.



Colour:
The colour is lighter than the Benefit Porefessional in an off-white. The best way I can describe it is "skin colour" so it can complement all skintones.



Performance:
 This pore eraser balm does a good job at creating a silky base. In turn, it also mattifies the skin making your makeup look fresher for longer. No more oily qualms!

It smells like baby powder directly from the jar but quickly dissipates on application. 

For this review, I wore this primer on the left side of my face and the Benefit Porefessional on the right hand side. 6 hours in, they both performed similarly. It was starting to get shiny, but only slightly to give the skin a "natural glow". I have combination skin and tend to get oily easily on the T-zone and cheeks area. My skin was still had the initial "silky" finish and there were no dry patches evident.

When I first wore it, my initial impressions was that it blended really well. You could immediately see the difference with my pores, most of them were covered. I have attached below a photo of my results for better demonstration purposes.

none of these photos have been altered

 The first photo is of my bare skin, with nothing applied (not even moisturiser or toner). As you can see, my pores are bigger around near my nose to my smile lines. You can distinctively see the "black holes" and it makes my makeup look disastrous. It really is quite embarrassing showing that picture of my pores but it validates my review with proof.

The second picture is after applying the Pore Eraser balm. The pores are drastically minimised, blurring to the point of it almost vanishing! However you can still see a few, especially some of the bigger ones. On my nose, the appearance of black heads have also lessened. Redness is slightly covered as well.

And the last photo is of my skin with the Dr. Young Pore Eraser and my Innisfree Long Wear Cushion BB cream (which I will review soon!). The results speak for themselves as I have achieved an almost flawless base. Used in conjunction with cover up, it really optimises the Pore Eraser's pore erasing powers. It made my skin feel silky and smooth to the touch.

General comments:
In my honest opinion, I do think the Benefit Porefessional primer is better. It is packaged in an easy squeezable tube, making it travel friendly and it also has more product. But the Dr. Young Eraser Balm is enriched with skin optimising ingredients, probably even improving your skin texture with long use. It is also cheaper as well, depending on where you live.

Technically all silicon based primers work the same so it really depends on whether you want the product in a more travel-friendly tube or a sturdy glass jar.
If you are in Australia, the retail price is AUD$53 for the Benefit Porefessional, compared to the US$38 of the Dr. Young Pore Eraser Balm. The Dr. Young Pore Eraser Balm was included in one of their Pore Care Memeboxes but not available for individual sale YET on their site. Make sure to visit their website time and time again because they constantly update their products.


1. $5 off on orders over 3 Memeboxes (or $100): MEMEBUNDLE3
2. Get $8 off on orders when you buy 4 or more Memeboxes: MEMEBUNDLE4
3. Free shipping on orders above $70 from Memeshop: FREESHIPPING
4. Click through my Memebox side advert to get $3 off any purchase!
5. Superbox #32 Bubble Pop Cosmetics $3 off! Click through the advert on the side.

$5 off on any order:  52IKCS
(Valid date : August 1st ~ end of August, limit to one time per customer.)


There are also deals which started today which allows you to get up 3 Memebox points by purchasing one of their special boxes. Check it out here.


Until next time, annyeong~

*the dr. young pore eraser was sent to me for review purposes. however that does not affect my judgement as my complete and honest opinion will always be upheld.
YOONYEE © . Design by FCD.