Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Review: Skin Watchers UV Success Sun Block + Common Sun Protection Questions Answered

Reviewing Skin Watchers UV Success Sun Block for you guys today!



I am a sunscreen/sunblock junkie. Before my obsession with lip products, I had an obsession with sunscreen. You don't hear about it much because I am not qualified to properly review sun protection. In my room I have a whole section of my table dedicated to sun protection products. Sadly I do not go out much these days (lazy day everyday) so I haven't been using them.. which makes me sad. Just like when I have a new lip stick or fashion item I want to use and wear but can't because there's no occassion to permit it or the weather/season does not match.

When I was given the opportunity to review this sun block from a Korean brand that is not relatively well known I was reluctant because I like to use sunscreens that have been tested and proven to effectively deflect or block UVA/UVB rays. But I took the plunge anyways because I really like sunblock....

Note:
Because I do not have the correct equipment to test how effective the sun protection is, I will only be reviewing this sunblock via observations.


QUICK SUN PROTECTION TIPS:

Ultraviolet A rays, or what I call UV Aging, is what causes premature aging because it penetrates deeper into the skin.

Ultraviolet B rays are what people typically use sunscreen/sunblock to avoid. UV Burning (these are not scientific terms) usually only penetrate into the epidermis (outer layers) and causes sunburn.

✰ Sun Protection Factor (SPF) mainly refers to protection from UVB rays.

Broad Spectrum Protection refers to protection from both UVA and UVB rays. 

Did you know the PA+ PA++ PA+++ and so forth rating system is not approved by the FDA? So I always use sunscreen that says Broad Spectrum Protection. However this is the system used in Japan/Korea commonly. Each country have different standards for their different climates. Just like how the British Standard for sunglasses is lower than the Australian/NZ standard because our sun is more harsh.. Your sunglasses should be labelled with the Australian/New Zealand standard AS/NZS 1067:2003. If they don't they are only fashion spectacles.

Always wear sun protection if you are outside for longer than 10 minutes. Doesn't matter if it's cloudy or if it's winter! UVA rays are powerful enough to penetrate through glass in your office or home.

A lot of people have asked this before and it's the question of... when do I apply sun protection? Before or after makeup? I personally apply it after moisturiser and when it has already dried. Just so I can avoid any chemical mixing that may minimise sun protection.

✰ Sun Block acts to block out the sun rays from penetrating into the skin. So typically people associate sun block as thick and gives a white cast.

✰ Sun Screen acts as a screen and deflects sun rays, though it is not 100% successful so some still penetrate through 

✰ Remember to apply enough sun protection. Two milligrams of sunscreen per square centimeter of skin is what usually testers for sun protection use. I talk more about this in the bottom of the post. 

Always apply sun protection throughout the day! It does not stay effective for long



Anyways, back to the review!

Packaging

This sun block is in the usual squeeze tube with a bright eye catching orange cap. It is small enough to put in a handbag, making it an easy option for on the go application. It is thin and small and doesn't take up unnecessary space.

Formula


As a sunblock, it is naturally going to have a white cast upon initial application. But when blended properly and dried, it blends into your skintone. I have a light skintone so I am not sure how this would work on individuals with a darker complexion. 

It's an extremely light and somewhat watery sunblock that melts into the skin easily. It doesn't feel sticky or uncomfortable, skin is softer after application. 

It doesn't keep the face matte or oil-free but I really like the feel of it on the skin.

Finish

The finish is neither matte or glossy, it settles into a natural finish. So it will not change the way your makeup sets or lasts as it imitates real skin finish. Typically with natural finish sunscreens, it feels thick on the skin making you feel like you have a lot of product on your face. But modern technology has advanced and that if no longer a concern.


Scent

This scent is really refreshing and natural. Slight floral notes and it smells extremely inviting.... Definitely not what you would expect from a sun screen. Parfum is even the last ingredient on the list (meaning it is the least used)

General


I forgot to take photos of the ingredients list... This is straight from my iPad
Sun blocks usually contain Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, the ingredients that give sunblock its' white cast.

This sun block is 50ml, a rather small amount, especially as it is an important everyday product. If you hold the tube to the light, you can see that half is actually air. Like chip packets.

The ultimate question with sunscreen is about the SPF number. Is it true that the higher the number, the better the protection? From research that I have personally made and understood, the higher the SPF should give you better protection and usually the average consumer does not apply enough. So when you have a higher number, it should hopefully compensate for the lack of amount people apply. You notice how sunscreen/sunblock directions always say "apply liberally"?

However one problem is that when people apply a high SPF sunscreen/block, they seem to forego the other protective measures thinking it's okay. Wearing a wide brim hat and being covered adequately should also be a priority. Remember SPF only refers to UVB rays.

This product claims to last 12 hours and a half on the face but really you should be reapplying throughout the day, especially if you are in a sunny area.

I have always wanted to make a post about sun protection so I do apologise if this post seems to be more focused on that instead of the actual product.

Where can I purchase this product?
This sunscreen is sold exclusively by Cosmetic Jolse
Click here to buy it
Price: US$19.98

My next review should be up today! And it will be about a rather controversial skincare product around the blogosphere. Stay tuned ;)

Until next time, anyeong~

*this product was sent for review purposes but all content and posts are my own
YOONYEE © . Design by FCD.