Sunday, 31 May 2015

Review: The Saem Urban Eco Harakeke Seed Oil



With winter fast approaching Australia, I have been extra careful with my skincare. For the cold weather, I like to use facial oils to hydrate my skin after cleanser and toner but before moisturiser. 



The only other facial oil I have tried was the Trilogy Rosehip oil, a popular product amongst Australians and worldwide. Unfortunately, my skin did not react well to it so I have an almost full bottle sitting in my bathroom.

So after a lot of research, I decided to try The Saem Urban Harakeke Seed Oil from Cosmetic Jolse.



Harakeke is a plant native to New Zealand and mainly has medicinal benefits. Usually the sticky sap was used for wounds and boils. This ingredient isn't popular in the cosmetic market but it is not completely unheard of.



Consistency/Formula:

In comparison to the Trilogy Rosehip oil, this product is immensely lighter in consistency. Honestly I was worried whether it would be enough to hydrate my skin in the cold weather. However my concerns were unnecessary as I am liking this product way more than the Rosehip oil which has won many awards.

The formula makes it easy to blend, application is a breeze and can be applied quickly. What I like to do is using 4 drops, spread it against my palms and press it on my cheeks, then forehead and chin before massaging my face. With body heat from my palms, it helps warm up the product and aid in quicker absorption. 




It does hydrate the skin but not enough for the cold weather. Parts of my skin still feel dry. 

Scent:
I imagine the oil to smell like the harakeke plant.. because the scent is hard to describe and not one I have necessary encountered before.

But it is not heavily perfumed.

Packaging:

The packaging was what attracted me to this product in the first place. The oil is encased in a green tinted glass bottle with a glass dropper. It has a wooden plastic design surrounding the rubber press giving it a natural vibe. 




It is 30ml so quite small, but that is normal for skincare serums, ampoules and oils. Easy to fit on your dressing table!

Product:

I am pleasantly surprised that the Saem Urban Eco Harakeke oil did not break me out. The other skincare product that I will review soon did... luckily it healed quickly. Again I will rehash how common it is for skincare products to react adversely for my skin. 70% of skincare products end with my skin getting inflamed by pimples so whenever I find a product that works for me, I never let it go. 




Quick to absorb and hydrates the skin for the cold weather. To test this, I applied the oil to the left side of my face for the first few days. The effects can be seen instantly. When I wake up, the right side of my skin feels drier while the left side remains soft and supple. Definitely a good product! However, I do not believe it works well by itself. I recommend a heavy duty cream as it is quite light.

To my knowledge, there is actually another oil in the same range called the Saem Urban Eco Harakeke Firming Seed Oil which claims to enhance your skin elasticity.

Overall:

I rate it 4 stars out of 5! It did not break me out but the oil is too light in consistency to hydrate well enough for winter. It would be perfect for Summer, Autumn and Spring!


The Saem Urban Eco Harakeke Seed oil can be purchased from Cosmetic Jolse for $25.98


Until next time, annyeong!

*product sent by jolse for review purposes
*all content are my own
YOONYEE © . Design by FCD.